When I was visiting Mexico last year I learned that you could swim with whale sharks in summer and was immediately intrigued!
* Image from the National Geographic site
Its name sounds scary but the whale shark is the largest fish that eats only fish. Not only it is the largest fish but by far the largest non-mammal. How about that!
Here are some more fun facts about this big cutie:
- Estimated life span: 70 – 100 years
- Featured on the reverse side of the Phillippine 100 peso bill (didn’t know they had pesos)
- It’s called “domino” in Mexico, “many stars” in Madagascar and “Papa shilling” in Kenya
- Considered a deity and called “Sir Fish” in Vietnam