WordPress login issues with “reauth=1”

So, if you are like me and usually access your WordPress admin Dashboard by going to /wp-admin/, then you probably also have troubles with login not working. Mine stopped working with the latest version install (3.2.1).

What happens is /wp-admin/ redirects to wp-login.php with a bunch of parameters, the last one being “reauth=1”. If you look closely, you’ll notice that there’s also a redirect_to parameter, which should look like yoursite.com/wp-admin/. If you have your WordPress installed in a subdirectory, and not in the webroot, this redirect_to parameter might be set incorrectly. Thus – continuous loop from wp-login.php to /wp-admin/, and /wp-admin/ can not be found.

One way to get rid of this is to login from wp-login.php page directly. The other one is to tweak some WP settings. I’ll update the post once I know exactly what needs to be updated and where.

A helpful WP post on how to troubleshoot login issues: http://codex.wordpress.org/Login_Trouble

Advertisements

7 thoughts on “WordPress login issues with “reauth=1”

  1. Ralf

    Heya … I had the same issue …. And the problem was that cookies were set to be blocked in my router after I did a router reset. Took me ages to figure out but solved it in the end…

  2. I had this problem as well, when migrating a blog from one hosting service to another. Had to go into the database via phpmyadmin and change the blog’s URL from the old site’s URL to the new URL.

  3. Superb post but I was wanting to know in case you could write a litte a lot more on this topic? I’d be extremely thankful should you could elaborate a bit bit far more. Thanks!

  4. Pingback: wordpress login reauth 1

  5. I had the same problem with my gaming website. After some digging, I’ve found out what it was. First I checked error log and there it was PHP Warning: mysql_real_escape_string() expects parameter 2 to be resource, in file wp-db.php

    The problem had been caused by depricated function mysql_real_escape_string after hosting provider updated PHP. So I simply changed that function with esc_sql in wp-db.php and it worked.

    It is very likely that your server’s PHP was updated and that some functions became depricated.

    Hope that helps.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s